Updated: Nov 6, 2018
Salt is quite poisonous to dogs. Hot salty chips can be a source of attraction for canines, and as tempting as it is to give Fido a chip or two, you may actually doing more harm than good.
Salt poisoning in dogs results in clinical signs of vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, lethargy, staggering, abnormal fluid accumulation within the body, excessive thirst or urination, potential injury to the kidneys, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death when untreated.
Treatment for salt poisoning includes careful administration of IV fluids, electrolyte monitoring, treatment for dehydration and brain swelling, and supportive care.
If you think your pet has had sodium poisoning, call your local vet for advice.